SIU is the Italian Society of Urbanists and represents the culture and values of urbanists working in the Italian University in all institutional and civil venues.
Acknowledged by Italian National Agency for the Evaluation of the University and Research System (ANVUR) as a Scientific Society for the SSD ICAR 20 and ICAR 21, SIU is an association that aims to act concurrently in the spheres of urbanism profession, training and research. SIU is a cultural and research interlocutor on the themes of cities, territories, infrastructures, environment and landscapes.
WHAT IT DOES
- Development and exchange activities on the educational offer in the disciplinary field of urbanism.
- Organisation of the annual conference to promote the exchange between Italian but also foreigners academics on emerging and relevant issues in urbanism.
- Organisation of national and international research seminars also in collaboration with other associations.
- Organisation and animation of thematic groups among academics (also from different disciplinary fields) on relevant topics in urbanism.
- Promotion and dissemination of research of national relevance in the field of urbanism among various Italian universities and research institutes.
- Economic support and dissemination on its website of academic publications relevant to the urbanism debate in Italy.
- Promotion and support of the network of doctorates in urbanism in Italy.
- Presence in State advisory bodies with reference to the revision of regulations and territorial policies.
WHY IT DOES IT
SIU is a facilitator in decision-making that works:
- to support the principles of ecological transition, environmental sustainability and socio-spatial justice through the planning and design of cities and territories, promoting research and projects in this direction;
- to foster the culture and demands of urbanism among the public and support the demand for territorial government;
- to promote the recognition and advocacy of the profession of urbanist, territorial and environmental planner at national and international level;
- to promote the development of qualified training programmes in the field of urbanism, urban planning and urban, territorial and environmental policies in Italian universities, schools of specialisation and PhD courses in the same fields, with particular attention to independent study courses in urbanism and urban planning;
- to promote the comparison of the research activities carried out by different institutions and at the different levels of training;
- to promote, in the sectors of competence, steering and coordination activities of studies and research, of dissemination and comparison of experiences and knowledge, both in Italy and abroad;
- to promote and coordinate relations with European and non-European associations;
- to promote and support legislative and governmental acts aimed at improving educational and scientific activities, including evaluation procedures in Italian universities, also by monitoring the results obtained in the implementation of current regulations;
- to promote inclusivity, equal opportunities, and to recognise and value gender differences in the academic field and in society in relation to research and urban practices.
HOW IT DOES
SIU works in a collegial way, networking the various stakeholders.
SIU has given itself a statute shared by the members, and the following structure:
- the General Assembly of members (once a year);
- the Council of Representatives (three times a year);
- the Executive Board (once a month);
- the President;
- the Treasurer.
The mandate is two years, renewable. After the expiry of 4 years, it is no longer possible to hold the mandate.